Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Why do you Shop?

As I have mentioned many times on this blog, I like to shop.  A lot.  I think too much.  I feel unhappy when I see the ill-fitting, not coordinating, cheap things bursting from my closet.  If I had a carefully curated wardrobe of things I loved and that fit well, I wouldn't think I had a problem.  Lately I have found a few articles and books that really resonate with me that I thought I would share.



Most often when you think of or hear about someone with a shopping addiction you think of someone that is over their head in credit card debt.  Despite not being in debt from shopping, I still feel like I am doing it for the dopamine, or trying to fill some sort of void, and not the actual stuff.  This article from the Huffington Post breaks down some signs of a shopping addiction and ideas on how to break it. 

"It’s an investment, rather than the cheap buzz of getting something new."
This writer of this article from The Atlantic made a goal to only buy new clothing items that cost $150 or more. As someone who uses finding and buying "good deals" as a solution for boredom, a bad mood or frustration in any area of my life, I find this idea intriguing. I don't think it is a be all end all solution of course, and clothing as an investment is debatable, but it is an interesting idea to make you think more about what you are purchasing.


Marie Kondo’s book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Of course I had to read this much talked about book. (I bought the kindle version as to not accumulate any more clutter!) I love the idea of only having things that "spark joy". I haven't followed through with a complete closet clean out (getting everything out all at once sounds so overwhelming) but I think it would be helpful if I did. I really wonder if I have any items that truly spark joy in my closet. Impulse buys don't typically turn out to be joy inducing after the initial high of making the purchase.
Trade Shopping for Self-Care and Everything Will Change
This blog post from Be More With Less is inspiring. "The best thing that happened was that instead of stuffing my feelings, I listened to them. Instead of shopping away pain or worry, I felt it. I started to understand that those feelings were my body’s way of saying, “Listen, something is not right.” not “Let’s go buy things.”"
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips