Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Rule of Thirds

Sweater:  August Silk via Macy's (a few years ago) - Pants:  Old Navy Pixie (last year) similar - Shoes:  Me Too Nini (last year)
 
Some days I find my outfits pretty boring.  Like today. 
 
In photography there is a thing called the rule of thirds.  This is the principal that your photo is more interesting when you break down an image down into thirds (both horizontally and vertically) so that you have 9 parts then place the points of interest in the image in the intersections of that grid. 
 
There is a similar idea when it comes to fashion.  It is thought that an outfit is more interesting with a third, or completer, piece.  So your first piece would be a top, second a bottom and third would be something additional like a cardigan sweater over the top or a scarf.  In my case today I don't really have a third piece.  I have the sweater, the black pants and a necklace that I don't think really goes with the sweater.  I think to make this basic look more interesting I need to add more of a statement necklace or a jacket.  Something else to amp it up you know? 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips