Monday, April 6, 2015

Shopping Rules

 

Sweater:  Forever 21 (a few years ago); Pants: Gap (a few years ago); Shoes:  Indigo by Clarks (also a few years ago)


This is an outfit I've worn a lot over the past few years so it was easy to throw on for a Monday morning.  I have trouble styling these navy pants because they are a boyfriend style and though supposed to be a bit baggy, these might be just plain too big for me.  I always struggle with what top to wear with them. 


 
 
This is me wearing the same pants last year with a shirt that is also too big (and the same gingham shirt I wore on Friday btw).  I didn't like this look because I thought the pants are so baggy that the top needs to be a big more fitted and/or structured.
 
I would say my style is classic.  A comfortable, chic, classic style.  I don't know that either of these looks really convey that.  That could explain why I never feel comfortable when I wear these pants. 
 
I read somewhere that you should ask yourself three questions when you are shopping and considering a purchase.   1) Do you love it?  2) Is it your style? 3) Can you wear it with other things you already have?   I also would ask, 4) where would I wear this?  It's something my Mom used to have me think about and I seem to have strayed from it a bit.  I would love for my wardrobe to be for a person who lives in New York or Chicago, works at a magazine and goes to plays and dinner parties and brunch.  As much as I want to buy those clothes (and have that life) I do not.  So I must buy things that are approprate for my life. 
 
It's not even been a week and I feel like this has already been helpful, as long as I can put it into practice.  Here are some "rules" I am going to use moving forward:
 
1) No more impulse buys.  Wait at least 24 hours before making a purchase. 
2) Only buy an item if it really fits, and if it doesn't, if I would actually get it tailored.
3) Ask myself the 4 questions before purchasing:
 
  1. Do I love it?
  2. Is it my style?
  3. Can I wear it with other things I already have?  
  4. Where would I wear this?
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips