Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Weekend in Chicago

Because I am trying desperately to hold on to the relaxing feeling that came with my fabulous weekend getaway, I thought I would recap it here as sort of a diary entry with pictures.  I had so much fun in Chicago with my sister-in-law.  We go once a year and try to do different things each time. This year was all about pampering.  We did so much - here are just the highlights.

First stop was to check into our hotel, The Drake Hotel





I've wanted to stay there since my first trip to Chicago in 4th grade.  It always seemed so glamorous and it is in the perfect location.  Luckily it met my long awaited expectations. The staff was friendly and the room was beautiful and clean.  We had tea on our second day and it was wonderful.  I have never had a French macaron and was very excited to try one with our tea.  Loved it.  Later we went to Pierrot Gourmet in the Peninsula Hotel and bought some to take home.  Hopefully I can try them in Paris one day. 

Macrons from Pierrot Gourmet
We spent Friday afternoon in Old Town checking out shops and Plum Market for some snacks before our manicure at Polish and Pour.  We got really good manicures for $17 while drinking cocktails from their bar.  We then walked back past our hotel and over to Bliss for massages.  It ranks up there as one of the best massages I have ever had.  Plus they had snacks in the lounge while you waited for the massage.  If there are snacks, I'm in.  And you can't beat the lake views from the locker room! 

Saturday we spent a few hours relaxing at Oak Street Beach.  Really good people watching and just steps from our hotel.

It got sunnier - and more crowded.
After tea at The Drake on Saturday afternoon we went into a few stores while trying to avoid ridiculously crowded Michigan Ave and then had appetizers and a drink at The Cedar Hotel which was pretty fun.  I highly recommend the area around Rush and State Streets for people watching in the evening/night. This is one area we do seem to come back to year after year.

On Sunday morning I went for a run along the lake front trail from The Drake to Navy Pier and back for a total of 3 miles.  It was awesome.  I would love to run along the lake every day. 

 
Am I the only one that immediately thinks of Pretty Woman when there is a couch in the elevator? 


 I love this city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips