Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Red Carpet Trend? Retro Satin Dresses

A satin dress never really goes out of style but I have to admit I was surprised to see this fabric on the red carpet recently, especially in a bias cut.  The dresses below remind me of old Hollywood glamour of the 1930's.  I do happen to remember a slight resurgence of the slinky bias cut satin dress in the '90's.  I wore a pale blue number to prom one year...sorry no pictures available of that! 



Juliana Marqulies in a silver Narciso Rodriguez gown.  Very reminiscent of the bias cut slinky dresses first popular in the 1930's (and then again in the 90's).




Bette Davis in a bias cut gown.


Source: google.com via Jill on Pinterest


Jean Harlow



Ralph Lauren SS 2012 Runway



Nina Dobrev in Dolce and Gabbana.  A more structured cut for this shiny material.




Claire Danes In Vivienne Westwood at the 2012 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner.  A  modern take with a satiny fabric.

1 comment:

  1. I love retro!

    xx
    Kecia

    http://www.couturezooblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips