Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lunch Time at Anthropologie

I normally love my lunch hour shopping trysts.  Today, however, was not so fun.  I have been continually cleaning out my closet and most recently have been getting rid of summer stuff that I didn't wear all summer.  I found a sleeveless top from Anthropologie that I bought a long time ago (January to be exact) that still had the tags attached.  I found the receipt and planned to take it back today along with a pair of Gap pants that needed to go back (Anyone remember when the ankle length pants at the Gap were made for those of us who are 5'3?  Well, they apparently are now made for the shorter but still really tall girls.) Anyway, thanks to Anthropologie's AWESOME return policy, I was able to return the top that I bought in January.  I have had a few things that I have been eyeing at Anthro lately so I was excited to put that money towards a fun new purchase.

The first thing I see when I walk in to the store is the Ascot Swing Coat:

Anthropologie at ShopStyle

which I love!  But, I would never wear that color!  I barely get away from my gray with a blue now and again.  Then I see the Wavy Cables Cardigan:

Anthropologie at ShopStyle

which I also love but seriously, $148 for a sweater with holes all over that you can totally see through?  Then I see a skirt I really liked online, the Houndstooth Collage Pencil Skirt:

Anthropologie at ShopStyle

So cute!  However, would I wear it?  Yep, pretty sure I wouldn't wear it.  I'm just not used to a big pattern like this.  And this went on and on throughout the store...

So what did I buy?  A gray sweater.  It's a cute sweater and I'll wear it a lot, but nontheless, it is still a plain gray sweater.  The purchase:

Anthropologie at ShopStyle

I guess what bothered me the most was that I couldn't just walk in there and pick out something I loved and have a great new purchase. Many styles in the store represent a person I think I wish I looked like but that isn't me. I had to come to the realization that I'm just not comfortable wearing a lot of Anthropologie's styles.  I had to keep asking myself, "Will I really wear this" and the answer was more than likely no.  Do I love it, yes.  Will I wear it, no.  I love reading the many blogs dedicated to Anthro, especially Anthroholic, but I have to admit that while I love the style on other people; I don't feel comfortable in a lot of bright colors, bold patterns or extra details.  I'm a classic gal that wishes she had a little more edge.  I'll have to keep working on creating some sort of balance so I don't keep feeling like my wardrobe is so boring.  Tomorrow at lunch, I may just actually eat lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips